My Chars

Sunday, April 12, 2009

DK Tanking Spec Post-3.1

Death Knight talent trees are taking a massive change after patch 3.1. For this reason and due to the new duel-spec system I need to take a look at the new talent trees and think about where to put my points and which spec to use for tanking.

Looking at the latest PTR talent trees on wowhead, it looks to me that neither full Frost nor full Unholy offer any compelling benefits in terms of tanking, compared to going for a mixed build. So after thinking about it for a while I came up with this 45/5/21 Blood-heavy build.

The 21 points in the Unholy tree are for Unholy Blight. That talent is something I've really fallen in love with and when building my new spec I decided I must have it.

As for the points in the Blood tree, I chose as many talents as possible which would allow me to either heal back up or reduce damage - in any case increasing my Time-To-Live as a tank. Of course straight mitigation would have been nicer but as a second option I think this isn't a bad spec at all for tanking. Of course only time will tell and the 3.1 live talent trees can still look different, so I'll just have to wait and see...

3 comments:

zupa said...

I am new to the world of DKs, and can only mess around with talents so much because im only level 60ish.

I have unholy blight and I thought it was going to be awesome, and it just seems really tame.

Is it going to get significantly better as I level up? because right now it does two fifths of fk all. Why do you love this talent so much?

SolidState said...

Hi Zupa,
I love Unholy Blight for tanking - see my post subject... You are level 60 so you should only be worried about leveling. Unless you are doing AoE leveling with 3+ mobs all the time, I would not bother with Unholy Blight. For leveling I went - and can still recommend - full Blood spec.

As a tank? Bloodboil for snap agro on a pack, followed by the first ticks of D&D and UB and my DPS can do their worst AoE, those mobs are MINE :) (as long as some crazy DPS doesn't specifically target a mob I am not - that can't be helped :()

Oh but if you do decided UB, get the new Glyph of Unholy Blight which extends the duration of Unholy Blight by 10 seconds. Pure win :)

Cheers,
Solid

Anonymous said...

What Glyphs are you useing and what rotation do you use with this spec? im thinking on giving it a try